Saturday, September 24, 2011

Baby Charm Blanket



Another quilting finish from Prince Rupert! Based on the pattern by Elizabeth Hartman, found here: (PDF file!) I used the Hometown by Sweetwater Charm Pack (from fishskin fabrics) along with some Kona Charcoal (because who doesn't love more grey - and the lighter greys were just wrong somehow).
I experimented with quilting with smooth minky - it was my first quilting minky experience. I used the Shannon Fabrics Charcoal in Smooth. I will admit that the price on this minky is quite a bit more than our Telio brand, but the difference is all too apparent when you get to touch them! (for samples, email jill@fishskinfabric.com)
I used 505 spray (which apparently I don't have online and will fix asap!) to stick my layers together, spraying about 12" of batting at a time and then smoothing the fabric over, lifting up and exposing the next 12 " of fabric, spraying and then smoothing down - I did it alone (although this is just a small quilt, about 35" square) and it worked well. Even better, it took me quite a few days to free motion quilt this, and my layers stuck together nicely. If you were wondering why it took me so many days to quilt (which isn't a long time, but I spent a lot of time at the machine on this one!) it is because I asked my husband how it thought it should be quilted - thinking straight lines, wiggly lines, that sort of things. But no, he instead counts how many blocks there are and suggests I quilt one letter of the alphabet on each block, putting I and J on the same block.
Oh.
(Pick something easy why don't you honey?) But, I am nothing if not adventurous in my sewing, so I put on the Free Motion Embroidery foot and off I go - one line per day. There were definitely "oops" and "whoops" moments - still there, for all to see, but i've decided I like it - it was a huge learning experience and I had a lot of fun, and a few glasses of wine, to get through it all!
This is only the second time I've used my new machine to quilt (it's a Janome Horizon and I love it!), the previous time was my Earth to the Stars quilt which I apparently haven't posted about! Guess we need another post!

2 comments:

  1. So pretty--I love the new Hometown line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love your baby quilt. I too love the new Hometown fabrics! And I do have several charm packs, but I love your bold color choice - that charcoal looks black. It just snaps everything! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete