Sunday, February 26, 2012

Swap Project



Recently, I had the great opportunity to participate in a quilt swap, with a large group of modern quilters. I've never tried anything like this before, and thought it would be a lot of fun (and it has been!)

It's the For the Love of Solids Round 2 Swap (here's the Flickr Group) - what happens is we create a colour palette that we would like to see in our mini quilt, as well as an inspiration mosaic of different projects. We sent that in to our Swap Mama, and she shook us all up and gave someone else's mosaic. We are challenged to then use the colours chosen for us, to create some sort of beautiful project for our partner - in the form of a mini quilt, sewing machine cover, bag or what have you.

Because it's a blind swap, I don't know who has me... and my partner doesn't yet know that this quilt is for her (although she hopes it is, if her comments on Flickr are anything to go by!) It has to be ready to ship for the beginning of March, and I was able to finish the binding the other night.... I'm VERY happy with how it turned out...

I would love to be able to create a pattern for you to make your own... but because so much of it was improv piecing, it would be VERY difficult to translate into a pattern... but I'm thinking about creating a Modern Block sampler, quilt along for all you Seamsters out there... (you know, like a funky cool hipster but better!) What do you think??

The last two photos are a couple of "in progress" shots... the second you can see some changes in my layout, and the first, some of the method I used to get it all together.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome & I'd love a 'modern block qal'. The back is equally exciting, and by the flickr pics I saw, your quilting adds alot of interest too. VERY nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I think this is one of the best things made this time in the swap! Bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this quilt on the MQG facebook page and admired it. I've just realized that it was made by a BC quilter. Awesome! If you're ever down in Vancouver, we'd be happy to have you as a guest at a Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild meeting or sew-in!

    ReplyDelete